Wednesday 30 October 2013

My First Birchbox: October

With my recent disappointment I decided I'd see what else is out there in the world of beauty box subscriptions and before I knew it I was entering my details, making a payment and waiting for the arrival of my first Birchbox.


I had read a lot of good things about Birchbox before I subscribed so I was very excited, eager for it to arrive and crossing my fingers I didn't have another disappointing delivery like my Glossy box this month (you can read about that here). I got home, the Birch box had arrived and was waiting for me on the dinning table, this seems to be where the post likes to hang out. I tore open  the cardboard box to reveal the Birch box, a simple brown lid with white branding and smaller in size than the Glossy box, I wasn't sure if this was a good thing or not. Then I opened the box and saw the cute little draw string pouch contained inside, such a lovely touch and I'm sure I'll find a use for it, also a "Welcome to Birchbox" message and another piece of card with information about this months box and the products inside. 

October Birchbox

I opened the pouch and began looking at all the samples inside, it was a whole bag of goodies and clearly there were more than 5 products in there. Super happy and doing a little dance inside when I saw the name Laura Mercier... That's it there and then I decided the box was worth it, which lets face it, is a a pretty ridiculous way to form an opinion but hey I got carried away, although as first impressions go this was definitely a good one. Then I had  proper look at the beauty goodness hiding inside the pouch,


I was right my pouch contained 7 different items,5 samples 1 Lifestyle Extra and 1 Beauty extra... WOW! So the first thing I reached for was of course the Laura Mercier sample, how exciting this is a brand I have read lots about but never tried for myself and now I finally have the chance to see what its all about with the Foundation Primer 14.7ml, a generous sample size that will allow me to give this a decent chance and see how it performs. Also on the info card it states that Novembers box will also contain a Laura Mercier product... eeek! 

Next up was Dr. Brandt, Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant 7.5g,  this is not a brand I have herd of before but everyone needs to exfoliate don't they, and this one is for all skin types. A fab sample to have in a box like this and I'm looking forward to trying it out. 

Third out of the pouch was KMS California, Hair Play Makeover Spray 75ml, we all know its not healthy to wash your hair everyday but sometimes it needs a little helping hand to see it through to its next wash and Hair Play claims to do just that by absorbing oil and refreshing limp, day old hair. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship. 

The next sample that emerged from the pouch was theBalm cosmetics, Stainiac 1.2ml, October is clearly the month of the multi-tasking stain for beauty boxes everywhere (Glossy box contained a stain this month too) this one seems to be better in that it is a thicker consistency and has a doe foot applicator, I'm not generally a big fan of the whole lip/cheek tint trend but I'll give it a go and you never know I might be converted. 

I was so thrilled to see the next  sample I did a little dance there and then *totally not cool* Dr. Lipp, Nipple Balm For Lips 3ml, I have so much love for this balm, never have I used a product and seen instant results like I did this one. Now the full size product seems expensive, £11.50 for a lip balm is a bit steep but to put it in perspective I first received a 3ml sample of this in my September Glossy Box and I have been using it daily, sometimes twice a day, I am yet to finish that first sample. Just a small amount of this balm goes a long way it makes your lips feel amazing, If used at night before bed you are sure to wake up with lusciously soft lips. I have nothing but good things to say bout this lip balm, it featured in my September Favourites post and I'm sure it will be in many more as this is definitely worthy of Holy Grail status.

Now for the cheeky lil extras, the Lifestyle Extra was a Birchbox, Gel Mask, this is a cute little eye mask that is filled with gel. all you have to do is pop it into the fridge overnight then put it on your eyes first thing in the morning to reduce puffiness or quite simply wake you up. The Beauty Extra I received was 3 x Egyptian Magic 3ml sachets, this is apparently a multi-purpose healing skin cream made with all natural ingredients that turns into oil when you rub it in your hands and can the be applied to skin or the ends of your hair.

So its safe to say I am pleased with the contents of this box, lets hope this is not a one off. I think I'll keep both subscriptions until Christmas and then decide which one I want to carry on with. Do you subscribe to any beauty boxes? which is your favourite? let me know your thoughts in the comments below :)

Kayla x


No comments:

Post a Comment